Wednesday 10 May 2017

PWR Graduates Parkrun!

Hello blog lovers.

As promised a blog all about our PWR Graduates first parkrun!  I have had an extremely busy weekend which is the reason why I haven't been able to post about this run.  But we're here now, lets see if this old grey matter up here can drag out the facts about our parkrun on Saturday!

So, I do remember it was blimmin early start!  we had to get there at 08:30, in the car park, Hook Farm end.  I know, we still had half hour before the official start but we needed to get everybody together, give them their stickers to identify them and to also do a warm up with them all!  Shalini was driving and NaggyNeighbour came along too, a week after doing her incredible 68 miles around the Isle of Wight! I know where I would have been if that had been me (not that I would even think about doing something like that, I really do know my limits!)  But she was looking good, no aching legs and was walking normally I think the day after it anyway!  Anyway, the three of us in the car went to collect Tracy and then drove to Normans Park!

There were already loads of PWR Graduates there.  I am sure we had at least 30 of them, all eager and maybe a little anxious to get going!  I knew it would be a great run, I could feel it in my water!  Sherry had a little briefing about what to expect on the course, and then we made our way over to the pavilion where the finish funnel was.  Again Sherry chatted to them about what would happen at the end, where to go and get there bar codes scanned and hand back the finish token!  Most important to hand those back in!  So many times people have kept the thinking that they are little trophies, or mementos of their parkrun!

There was also the obligatory toilet stop!  I don't know what it is about running, but as soon as you think about it you just need to have a wee! Why is that!  Although, These Saturday mornings now I am quite comfortable with so I don't actually need to go!  Then we all walked over to the start, we are back on the summer route, I much prefer this route than the boring 3 laps of the winter route!  Mentally it is better for me, I am not sure about what others think, but I am sure others prefer the summer route too!

Andy was Race Director and he gave out the instructions to all first time parkrunners, not just our PWR's, and then it was time to get set to begin our run.  We brought them all to the back of the pack, just so that the speedsters can get going and also so that our lot do no run out to fast!  Ready Steady Go!  We were off, a great start by everyone, because nobody went out to fast and then they all settled into their own pace!  I wasn't planning on going around trying to chase down my pb, I shall be at the back just to encourage any that need it.

It looked like there were record numbers of runners on Saturday! as we turned the first corner and started to run down the first short straight, the snake of people running was already running across the middle of the park!  It looked amazing!  We all kept to our own steady running, just trying to get around the the first 5k for the Spring '17 PWR Beginners!  Being at the back I could see that everyone was doing so well, at least all of the runners in front of me were doing very well, no one walked no one! That included all the other 700 or so people that were doing parkrun that day!  I couldn't see our people through the people out there running!  I think maybe we should give them two stickers, one at the front and one at the back!  Just so that everyone can encourage them around!

That first lap felt good, across the green, and back again, oh so much better than doing three laps, don't you think! The second lap seem to go past just as quick!  I was chatting with Tracy trying to keep on mind off running so that she could keep on going, and try and pick up the pace a bit while she was chatting with me!  When we got to the top of the park, NaggyNeighbour came to join us, she looked as fresh as a daisy, and she ran along with us encouraging Tracy all the way!  Now she had two naggy friends.  Carol was with us too, not quite as naggy as me.  It was a case of good cop/bad cop! But I do know Tracy very well, and we have known each other for a very long time!  I could feel the 'daggers' coming from Tracy as I urged her to keep going, pick up the pace, and then Naggy started to urge her to keep on going!  People were hearing us as we called out Tracy's name and began to cheer her in as we ran towards the funnel!  Come on Tracy, you can do it! Michael had joined in on the cheering as we all cheered her to the finish!

A great run, and everybody in our beginners Graduates had a fab time!  They all just totally surprised themselves at how well they all done!  Love it, just bloody love!  Well done PWR's !

Geeky stats. and photos!



Before we ran!

Just milling around

After we ran
(sorry about the soft focus! I forgot to clean the lens!)





No comments:

Post a Comment