Thursday 15 June 2017

Thursday American Football Special!

Hello blog lovers.

I am going to write three blogs, in completely the wrong order!  I need to write up about Tuesday, I also need to write up about this mornings run, but I think this core and speed session needs it's own special title!

So this evening it was ZippySherry's turn to lead the session.  ZippySherry does love a game! I  or I should say we, as I had picked up Tracy on the way, were a tad late again getting to the rec on time, but we were still in time to do the second warm up lap of the rec.  That was followed by the drills of course, and so after that the games begin!

The first one was called 'Hungry Caterpillar'  I had never heard of it before, but after she had explained in I realised that I knew it by a different name, 'The train run'.  It's where we run, one behind the other and then when ZippySherry blows her whistle, the person at the back has to sprint to the front.  Well, there were quite a few people at the core training today, and so to make it a bit easier she put us in teams, just so that we didn't have to sprint twenty people!  I happened to be in a group with some pretty faster runners!  How on earth did that happen?  It was going to be one of those evenings, I think!  I couldn't quite keep up with them and I got a stitch trying to run faster and had to just slow down and try to get rid of it!

After that little sprint session we went over to grab some water and then on to the next game.  Duck, duck goose!  Yup, that's right, all these adults were going to play duck, duck, goose!  I can't remember who was first, and who was last, but there were some quite strategic 'picking' going on!  I think most people had a chance to be 'goose' with maybe one or two people not being 'picked'.  It was a bit like being the 'last one left' when the whole choosing of the rounders game at school was going on!  Only this time, I was blimmin glad I didn't get picked!  As you can guess I didn't get picked!  But later on I think I paid my dues for not owning up quickly to being 'left out'!

It was the core next, with a nice big circle already there we started with the squats, lunges, planks and push ups!  With me being 'teachers pet' by demonstrating how to do a squat and a lunge! Hmm, I wonder if that was the reason.........hmm?

So after that it was time for the last speed session in a game form.  British bull dog, as I knew it, Sharks and fishes as ZippySherry said it!  I love this game.......actually......I loved this game!  So I am sure you all know the rules of Sharks/Bull dog, there is a game area, you are not allowed to go out of, you have, in the beginning, one shark/bull dog in the middle of the play area.  Fishes/Bull dog dinner, is all lined up on one side of playing area and have to run to the other side and not get tagged by middle shark/dog!  Sounds like fun don't it!  Well not if you are teachers pet!  The first 'wave' went well, Viral, he volunteered, maybe he could be the new teachers pet, he was the first middle one, he is quite fast, and you just knew that he will get quite a few 'tags' on the first round.  The second wave, well, I think it went ok, and maybe the third time.  But then getting back I kind of got tripped up!  I knew I was heading for the floor, it was either face plant or do a rolely poley!  I chose rolely poley!  I still got a graze on my arm and knee, but that's fine.  no face plant, no wrecked glasses!

I think then that every had been tagged and so we needed to have a lone middle person again.  Michael put his hand up to volunteer, the swot! Who's the teachers pet now!  So did the first wave, and maybe the second wave, but the third wave I was still out, I was behind Nigel but it seemed that Michael had his eye on Nigel, he went for him, Nigel manged to side step him but Michael was on a roll by then, the momentum of going for Nigel was there, all the energy moving forward, and then there's little old me! Not fast, not agile, and in the way of all that force coming at me!  It felt like a steam train, I was kind of tackled, American football style, to the floor! Literally swept of my feet by Michael!  Ok, so next time anyone asks someone to demonstrate the exercises, it won't be me!
I googled rugby tackle, but I think this
pictures captures it better!

It was ok really, I didn't get hurt, and it was all brilliant fun, would you believe!  Everyone had fun!  Anyway after that game we had a drink and then a cool down lap of honour of the rec before the stretches and then home!

I do recommend these sessions, honestly, they truly are fun!  Today it was a bit challenging for me with the whole falling over business, but I still got up and finished the game of bull dog, and then the lap of honour.  I shall be back next week too!  I love these sessions!  So next time, why not come and join in!

No comments:

Post a Comment