Thursday 27 July 2017

In, Out, Left, Right? Which Way Zippy?

Hello blog lovers.

Just the one exercise to write about today.  I was leaving Kirsty early, so I wanted to make sure I spent longer with her  in the morning. I was feeling a bit down, and didn't know how to pick myself up.  It's good that I have have Kirsty to take care off, as we do have a giggle together. I had planned on taking my bike to the rec today, on the way collect Tracy as well, obviously I wasn't going to give her a 'backie', she was going to be riding her bike, but the weather was against us again!  I am not sure, but Tracy just didn't seem convincing when she said "Oh what at shame, I was just so looking forward to cycling there"

Anyway, we got there in time for the two lap warm up jog around the rec, I did the first one and the second one I did in the opposite direction to everyone else, as I wanted to finish at the same time as everyone else, which means that I would be doing just a tad less than two laps.

ZippySherry was in the lead seat today, with speedy1 and speedy2, her two girls!  My goodness they are speedy too.  The littlest one, doing the warm up lap, was half way around the rec and I hadn't even completed a quarter of a lap!  No sense of pacing!

After the warm ups it was the drills, just the usual, skipping, sidesteps, drum majors, sidestepping and butt kicks.  Then it was on to the fun and games.  A bit of calf stretching I think we were practising as it involved an awful lot of jumping.  I think I had got hold of the rules of the game.  ZippySherry had us all holding hands for this!  Most peculiar, there we were, all holding hands in a circle, Zippy does have a way of bringing out the child in all of us.  So the game was, when she called out 'In!' we had to jump into the circle shouting out 'in' as well, when she called 'out' we had to jump out again calling 'out' as we jumped, and left and right of course.  Sounds easy, don't it.  Well that was, then she changed the rules.  We had to listen to what she said, 'Out', but we had to jump 'in' while calling 'Out' and when we jumped left we had to jump right but call out left!  So not only was we working our calv'es we were also working out our grey matter!  Well, maybe not for me, because I always get my left and right wrong, so therefore in theory I was doing things right! Right?  It was a fun game though, and then there was an even more complicated version, involving tagging someone, it was all good fun I think, my brain hurts!

After that it was time for bacon!  I know, that's exactly what I was thinking 'yummy, bacon!' But the bacon in question was a baton!  We were paired up with people of the same speed, more or less, then placed opposite each other.  The bacon (baton) was placed in middle of the 'gaming area'.  Two lines of runners, team A and team B, then we were given numbers, 1 to 5.  When ZippySherry called out "1" both team A and B numbers 1's ran for the bacon and had to get back to their spot without getting tagged by the opposing number 1.  Confusing, well, we all did eventually get it!  At first, when Zippy Sherry called out mine and Tracy's number (she was my opposite by the way) I tried the 'war scream' approach to the 'bacon'.  I did get the bacon and I started back to my starting position, but I got tagged, so the point when to the 'B' team.  The next time my number was called out I tried a different approach, I let her get to the bacon first, and then tagged her before she got back! Another fun game, and one that we have not done before.

As we were in teams already, we had a relay racing,  running from the patio to the cricket thingy!  That was good fun too.  I really tried to run really well, not too fast, I've seen too many of my pals pull up with injuries!  But just enough to get the heart pumping and the legs moving faster!

So, core training section.  It was two reps of Star Jumps, Lunges, planks and Squats, all thirty seconds long.  Zippy was kind to us with only the one discipline on the wet grass, and if we were doing that right it will only be our arms that get wet!

Back to some more running, after all we are a running club, and so ZS put us into two teams, different teams this time, the fast runners and the faster runners!  We in the fast team had the shorter route around the cricket thingy, hugging the rope as tight as possible, while the faster runners were on the outside about 2 meters further from the rope.  We had to run against the other team, one at a time, around the square, as soon as we got to the third corner we had to raise our hand to send our next member running.  First team back after doing 3 laps each was the winner!  The faster runners just beat us, but it was pretty close!

Just a nice little cool down lap of the rec and stretches finished off a fun, brain hurting, calf stretching, speed encouraging session!






No comments:

Post a Comment