Sunday 1 October 2017

Members 10k - ish

Hello blog readers.

I woke up this morning and looked outside, a great day for running through our route in readiness for next weeks Petts Wood Runners 10k!  How I just love this particular event, first of all because it introduced me to PWR in the first place.  I first knew of them when I signed up to do this race way back in 2010.  Just a memorable year really, The PWR 10k on the 10/10/10 at 10:10 am!  I think they held back for those ten minutes that year! That was my longest run back then, and I loved the marshals and the route and the whole shebang that I just had to be a part of it.

The best bits of our even is the running through the woods, so that was the only bit that we will be doing (hence the 10k ish).  We all met up at 09:30 am, no need and listened to the leaders of the 5 groups that would be going out.  I was going out in group 1, IllustriousLeader was leading us through the route and I was going to sweep.  Some of our group haven't run further than the usual 5k that we do, they were really excited and a little nervous about it!

It had been raining during the night which meant that the woods will be a little sticky in places, I had made sure I put my old trainers on.  At the rec there were quite a few PWR's there to enjoy a Sunday morning run with pals.  Once the leaders announced themselves, and at what speed they were going at our group went immediately to the back gate to wait.  We were the cheering crowd to cheer them all on their way as all the other groups were doing the lap of the rec first.  Here is some pictures of the five groups.







And in group 1

We all followed after them and turned left instead of right, we just couldn't wait to get into the words and we were taking a shorter route!  Up to the walk over (troll) rail bridge, which is where the new route of our 10k is going to go, the railway still haven't put the bridge back in they took out last year! So all our runners next week will be running over the Troll bridge, I tell my group 1 runners that they have to run over this bridge as quietly as possible so as to not wake the troll!  Then they are concentrating on their running technique, just like PhysioMikethemod told me to do.  Things like that really do help, especially when you are feeling tired, it just gives you something else to think about, even if you forget to actually run softly and quietly! We were running along Crest view when the first of the faster groups passed us by.  I am not sure how many groups would be passing us, it could be 2 or it could be 3. Thankfully we were all running and not having a walking rest!

We ran through Jubilee park where we were overtaken by another of the faster groups, and then down Barfields Road.  This is the road that takes us back into the woods.  We ran all the way down and then turned right and had a walking break towards the gate that takes us to Goss hill.  I noticed a van at the bottom of the hill, I know this is where the railway people gain access to inspect and work on the railways.  As I got close I heard "Go on, keep running"  it was the Old Boy!  I popped over and gave him a sweaty kiss and ran on with my pals, who didn't even notice that I did that!

We walked/ran our way up to the top of Goss hill, I am sure there was a group already up the top that was taking a little break too! They had started running by the time I got to the top tho.  My group just had a little stop for a breather and some jelly babies!  Becky had bought along a much needed sugar boost for us all!  She had just opened the packed and the ZippySherrys group started to come to the top!  Once there were all there I took a quick selfie of us all, but I'm not sure if we had actually shared the jelly babies with them......there were quite a few of them!
I have not idea why we are all looking so bright!

That was the last of the groups that passed us,  we had the rest of the run to enjoy and not worry about being overtaken by the others.  IllustriousLeader led us all the way down Botany Bay Lane and along the rail tracks.  And then we ran back up the woods!  Memories of my very first 10k came back to me, how I hated hills, (still do) but how I just love the woods (I didn't back then though, I was a total city girl) I do remember thinking never again, give me pavements, give me 5k, give me a pint of beer!  The marshaling on that day though was truly inspiring!  I just loved how they cheered me all the way, I was one of the last runners too!  Their enthusiastic cheering did not diminish one iota!  That is what got me around my first 10k!  This time though I am thinking that I could use this path for a Thursday morning run and even for group 1 runners on a Tuesday evening during the summer!

Once at the top of the woods we continued along the top until we came to the sundial and then ran through the clearing.  We rejoined the middle path and headed towards Dog Poo Ally.  We had ran well over our usual group 1 distance and Kathy was very pleased with that, she felt that she had done enough though and wanted to head back to the rec. So while Illustrious leader led the rest of the group up the path towards Orpington Road I ran with Kathy to Crossways.  There we parted, she walked back to the rec to see if her husband was waiting while I ran up Birchwood to meet the group as they come out of the woods to run back down.  I had managed to get right to the top, almost before they came around the corner.  I am sure I.L. said that "We weren't really waiting around the corner, just so that you had to run up the whole of Birchwood" she said with a smile!  It was good to have a little challenge anyway!  I was hoping that I could push a little bit harder up the hill in time to meet them at the top anyway!

We ran back down Birchwood and then into the rec to do some stretching!  A fabulous run with some fabulous people!  Have I mentioned that I run with the best running club around!?  Thanks Anne for leading such an enjoyable run this morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment