Wednesday 8 November 2017

Club Run - Marathon Draw!

Hello blog readers.

Yesterday, in the wet, drizzly evening we all still met up to run.  We didn't meet up at the rec as usual though, as we were having a 'social' afterwards.  The occasion for the social, well, Petts Wood Runners have been allocated marathon places for some of our lucky PWR's.  Six of the places are from PWR's totally manning a water station at this years marathon and our club were given these places!  Amazing!  I was thinking about chucking my name in the hat, but I chickened out!  I didn't get a ballot place, but unlike last year when I was totally pleased that I didn't get a place, this year I was only slightly disappointed.  Yet when it came to throwing my name in the hat for the draw for one of the VLM places, I chickened out!  Hmmmm.  Maybe I am not ready to do another one after all!

But that of course didn't stop me from getting excited and celebrating with all my buddies after our usual club night right!  And talking of which, I shall now tell you all about it. I wasn't down to lead, I know, it's strange, but we did have another leader lined up, but train delays kept him from getting to Bickley Manor in time for the run.  I had a suspicion it had something to do with what happened in Knockholt Station, the believe a murder happened!  That threw all the trains into turmoil! 

So I was there, with NaggyNeighbour, she drove, and I said that we should get there a little bit early as the car park gets pretty full.  As I wasn't leading, I still hadn't heard about what had happened to the trains and it was still quite early, this happened!

I know, so unusual.....its only a half!

Well, it was only a half!  I have had a can before a race, during a race and after a race!  The Harvel 5 is usually very social!  Anyway, It's totally doable, in the rain, in the dark, from a different start/finish venue, only trouble is, I of course didn't think or plot a route for this evening, as I wasn't down to lead!  But that's fine, I decided on a straight, out and back!  I was just going to head for Petts Wood, as soon as it my Garmin hits 1.5 miles I shall turn around and come back exactly the same way!  Three miles done, nice and easy, and no tricky left or right turns. 

The rain came down slightly heavier than it had been when we arrived, I was hoping that it didn't get any worse.  I was glad it wasn't that cold out, strange really considering we are now into November.  There were quite a few people in the car park, all ready to get going, but first in the car park, in the drizzle, we all stood in silence for a moment, to think about and pray about a fellow runner from Orpington Road Runners, who died last Tuesday on their club run. Rest in peace Andy Whitefield, I didn't know you, but no doubt we had probably run past each other on a Tuesday night club run!  My condolences to your family, God Bless.

So there I was with my paddle (the new posts) with my number 1 written on, I gave out my route, which was easy, it was run away from Bickley for a mile and half and then run back just three roads involved! Even if I had two pints of lager and a packet of crisps I would still be able to do this and not get lost!  Michael was sweeping for me, there were 8 of us in our group, a nice even number. We set off in the light drizzle, and then we ran! We ran for about 1.45 miles, that got us to Top Oxhawth, after we ran along bottom Oxhawth! Hmm, ok so it was four roads!  By this time however, the rain really started to come down even harder.  I think my group were ready to get back, just as well that is exactly where we were going!

We ran back exactly the same way, obviously in reverse, From Top Oxhawth to bottom Oxhawth, along Southborough lane, down Blackbrook Lane and onto Thornet Wood Lane.  When we were half way down Blackbrook I asked Michael to lead the faster runners, as he had swapped sweeping with Auriol, and then I relieved Auriol so that she could get back into the dry with the others.  A great run, and then.......well then it was time to chill, chat and relax with our club members, have a few drinks and then.....make the draw for the marathon places.  There were a few very happy and very shocked runners!  I couldn't quite hear all of the names being called, I was at the back (nearest the bar) so I missed a few names.  But I found out the next day who was running!  I was so pleased to hear that our social secretary had won a place!  She has done marvellous things for us in the club since she has become our social Secretary, she so deserves a place.  A few that I can remember is, Ralph, again a well deserving winner for all he has done for the new parkrun at Hobblingwell.  But well done everyone who won a place!  Now the hard work begins, unless you're going to wait until after the Christmas festivities!

This is after we have got back....notice the pint in my hand!


No comments:

Post a Comment