Tuesday 19 December 2017

Woo Woo Run - 2017!

Hello blog readers.

It's the last official club run before Christmas, and as started from last year, we are going on a festive lights and spirits run!  The weather was just perfect for it too, especially after the weather forcasters predicted freezing fog and minus tempertures!  It was positively spring like!

The Old Boy dropped me off today, well if I was partaking in the 'spirit' part of our run it was best I didnt get behind the wheel afterwards!  He dropped me off outside J.J.'s house and I went to knock for her, and she was ready!  We were, in fact, a little early so to say 'Cheers to a good run' we had a nice glass of warming sherry, just to help keep us warm while walked and then waited for the off at the rec.

There were quite a few people there, not as many as usual but then it is the last run up to Christmas and people are doing last bits of shopping, wrapping or even office Christmas parties!  It was time for the leaders to give their little talk, both me and RefMichael went to the front, he had already said last week that he would be joining us this week!  He had such fun last years and he just didnt' want to miss out this year!  A few of our usual pals were missing and we do miss them, LittleJ, Carole and Tracy!

I had already plotted out our route this morning, I was hoping that it would include some fabulous lights to 'woo woo' our way through.  I wanted to keep St Georges Road till last, as that down there is spectactular!  I am hoping over the years the whole of the road will be included in the light show!  And so our run started.  All 14 of us in group 1, 2, 3, headed out of the rec and turned left, then at the top of the road we turned left again!  We ran along there until we got to the memorial hall, it was all up hill but we had the lights on the houses to distract us.  I don't think I explained the rules correctly about the woo woo run, which are, when we get to a very festive lit up place then we 'Woo Woo' and send that messge back to the back of the group like a 'mexican wave' It worked so well last year. Oh and of course, every stop or catch up then the hip flasks come out!  Just to keep us warm of course.

There was one exception of the 'Woo Woo-ing' and that was when we got to Hannahs house, ok, there wre lights out side her house and in her window we could see her big tree all lit up, but of course she got preferential treatment, being a PWR herself she got the full chorus of "We wish you a merry Christmas"  She looked out of her window and brought the kids to see what this wonderful noise was coming from outside her house!  I did notice the lack of good cheer coming forth, no mince pies or warming, now, how did naggy neighbour put it, 'Gluwein' for the carolers. Well I am sure that is very nice, what ever that is, but on offer for this evenings medicinal purposes were Jack Daniels, Harveys Bristol Cream and a lovely look pink gin going around!  Oh and for those who still wanted to participate, but prefer non alco stuff, RefMichael brought along some Diet Coke!  We took the first of our photos outside Hannah's house, well, actually we took them opposite her house!  Their lights were a tad um, bigger!

We ran along Beaumont road and kept going until we got the the end then turned left to run along there.  There were some more lovely houses all looking festive with the lights all twinkling, I must admit I do love a twinkle!  Pretty twinkling lights, glitter cards or in my case a glitter phone case, and of course diamonds, nothing twinkles more that diamonds,I do like diamonds, diamonds are so beautiful!! (That's a subliminal message for the Old Boy, just in case he is reading this and hasn't got my Christmas present yet!) But twinkly lights,  always brings a smile to my face and all the faces of the runners too, there were plenty of 'ooo's and ahhh's' going on!

I saved the best road till last, St Georges Road, I took group 1 along here last week, when we ran for half a mile more than we usually did.  We came in from the other end too, so the excitement of seeing them was a lovely gradual build up as we got closer and closer the the lights.  It really is a spectacular show, there is one tree with this 'rain drop's effect, as the lights ran down the tree in pretty rain drops!  Of course I had to capture the moment on my camera!  Now I don't have a fabulous camera, it's only my Iphone and I am never sure whether to use a flash or now, so I just did both!  Here, this is us lot, nearly finished our run.


After we tore ourselves away from the twinklyest roads in Petts Wood we ran back to the rec, we were 'buzzed' by group 12 as they had finished their run.  I think they were on a shorter run, or they ran like Santa's reindeer to get back slightly earlier than they usually do as they were heading over to One Inn the Wood, As for me, after I led all three groups back to the rec for a nice stretch, I went home!  The lovely Auriol and Nigel gave me a lift back home, perfect just perfect!  A great, friendly, social run last run before Christmas run!

Here's our geeky stats.



p.s. I just found out what Gluhwien is.....we know it as .....mulled wine!  Hmmm I think next time I shall bring a thermos flask out with me, now that could be lovely and warming!

No comments:

Post a Comment