Sunday 7 January 2018

Train Run - January 2018

Hello blog readers

This morning I very nearly over relaxed!  I was awake in time, in fact I had plenty of time to fully wake up, but then I chillaxed just a little too much and I eventually jumped out of bed at 8:05 this morning!  Considering I had to be at Petts Wood Station at 8:20 I was cutting a little fine!  After quickly getting dressed and making sure I had my train ticket, keys and money I drove as quickly as I was allowed to the station.  There was just one parking space that I quickly nipped into and then rushed up the stairs to meet with my friends.  Here, this is them....

PWR Train Gang

I was the only group 1 runner there, but at least group 1 was represented, there were about 5 different pace/distance groups on the train run, the shorter distance runners are getting off at Knockholt and running back to Petts Wood, and the longer distance runners are heading for Sevenoaks, which then split in to two groups.  I was of course on the Knockholt group.  We all piled on the train and headed off to our destinations, this is us.
Taking over the carriage


And so, from Knockholt, we all piled off the train and Illustrious leader gave out the route, the three different groups, the 'Get to Petts Wood at faster pace', the 'Do an extra bit after Petts Wood' and the 'Get you to Petts wood, no matter what!' group, I was in that group!.  But I took a picture of us all once at the station,  one of those 'pano' pics, but I can't get it to upload here, so I screen shot it and got these, the Knockholt group!


Illustrious leader and Knockholt groups

Some of the faster runners

Some faster runners and us at the back


We didn't hang around too long, all though the weather was just blimmin perfect, it was still a bit chilly, at least no snow and ice this year!  We started off running, running at quite a pace actually, keeping up with the faster runners who will soon be running along at their pace, leaving us 'Get you back no matter what' group to our own pace.

I am sure you all know by now, the route is a lovely route, it does follow the A21 but we follow it via the fields and smaller roads, until we cross over it when we get to Farnborough.  Yes, I did say fields, I was expecting mud, maybe some more mud and possibly even a big muddy puddle or two.  But actually it wasn't that bad!  The faster runners had pulled away in front of us, and we were left with just the five of us, me, IllustriousLeader, Ruth, Sarah and Hannah. I was talking to Ruth as we were running along, once we got up the first hill she had said "I had forgotten that hill, the is only one more after this one"  Well, she told me one she thought was 'only one more' and then I reminded her of the one near Cudham North Lane, Old Hill!  It's funny how your memory protects you from nasty things like huge great big hills, otherwise we might not decide to run anymore!

So the first one done, or was it the second.....anyway at the top of it are the goats!  I do love seeing these little fellas, bleating (do they bleat of is that just sheep) away, wanting us to go over and pay attention to them.  I took some pictures, my eldest daughter loves goats, her hubby adopted one for her, at Buttercup Goat Sanctuary, called Pooky!  She was absolutely thrilled with it!  Anyway, if I didn't take pictures of said goats and she had found out.....well, just as well I did.
Nearly at the Goats

Are they not just adorable

I was totally having a great time running, my legs were hurting, my abs are hurting (yes, I have them somewhere in there, after over doing the situps, planks and push ups)  but it all felt good.  Like I am heading in the right direction again.  Maybe this time next year I will be at the front of the 'Get me back' group!

Another hill, in a field.  Look, can you see how steep it is!
Hills!! Gotta love em


Thankfully all these hills are just short and steep, they do flatten out quite quickly.  And with each hill I do I realise just where we are and start to feel positive, 6 miles is really not that far.  I have done 10k in under an hour and half, several times, but this route is just a little bit more challenging, and of course it's a bit more social too!  We do love a chat, catchup and look around.
Nearly caught up with them

It's amazing just how quickly the miles disappeared as we ran along, enjoying the very mild December.  I thought I had put on too many layers, "More layers than and Onion" as the Old Boy says, my top layer kept coming off and going back on, depending on the terrain.  When we were in the open air of the fields my jacket stayed on but when we got to the built up areas or the woody bits it came off!  So maybe I had the whole layers thing just about right!
This is Old Hill, the pretty way!

When we got to the Cinder path, I couldn't believe that our run was nearly over.  Of course it wasn't easy, it still hurt, I still walked, I even wonder how on earth I had ever done two London Marathons! We ran on through to Shepperton, then on to Station Square, with another group just coming around the corner! Some of the other runners were already there, at the Cow and Bean.  It's a small place, so there was no room for us to sit inside, so we decided to go over to the other coffee shop, Costa. Anyway,  I finished it, I finished it feeling good, feeling like 'Yup, this is my year, a year just for me to kick my own ass into shape, nobody else can do it for me!  But having my running buddies to lean on, when I am feeling shit is really going to help me stay focused and of course I can help kick their butts too, !  Running solo is doable but having the best club in town totally understanding where you're coming from is amazing!

Good friends are hard to find, harder to leave, and impossible to forget!

That about sums up Petts Wood Runners!  When I ran their 10k back in 2010 I though, "This is where I need to be"  I joined up that year and have never looked back!  Thanks PWR! You are amazing!  Here's my geeky stats.







No comments:

Post a Comment